The last eight years have been a saga
of journey towards progress and development.
There has been a sea change in development
in certain key sectors in the State,
thanks to the unstinted support and
cooperation of the people who have
reposed their faith in the vibrant
and dynamic leadership of Chief Minister
Sri Tarun Gogoi.
Highlighted here are some of significant
achievements in key sectors as well
as new initiatives and priorities
set forth by the Government for the
Committed l Accountable l
UNDER THE VIBRANT AND DYNAMIC LEADERSHIP
OF CHIEF MINISTER SRI TARUN GOGOI
PWD:12,000 km pucca roads constructed
and 1,230 RCC bridges converted into
concrete bridges to improve connectivity.
Another 8,000 Km of roads and 1,590
RCC bridges are now under construction.
Health: • Mobile
Medical Units (MMUs) have been launched
in all 27 districts and boat clinics
in 10 districts.
• 108 Emergency Services 'Mritunjoy'
with a fleet of 280 ambulances have
been pressed into service across the
• Three new medical colleges
have come up at Jorhat, Barpeta and
• 5new district hospitals are
• Mamoni, Majoni and Mamata
have been introduced for the welfare
of mothers and girl child.
• Evening OPDs have been functioning
in 214 hospitals across the State.
• 4 lakh institutional deliveries
have been registered.
• Assam is the first State in
the country to introduce a three year
medical course to produce rural health
78.26 lakh students have been provided
free of cost.
• 34 lakh children of Class
I-IV have been given cooked mid-day
• 1.5 lakh BPL students have
been financial assistance under Chief
Minister's Assam Bikash Yojana.
• 73,000 students have been
provided Personal Computers and other
accessories under Ananduram Barooah
• 930 High and Higher Secondary
Schools and 39 High Madrassas have
been provided with computers under
Rajiv Gandhi Computer Literacy Program.
640 schools will be brought under
the program this year.
• Intake capacity of Engineering
colleges have gone up from 590 to
2,913 with the coming up of new Engineering
Colleges and private institutions.
• 1 lakh BPL girl students of
Class IX-X have provided with bicycles.
Panchayat & Rural Development:
• 34.4 lakh job cards have been
issued under NREGA 14.92 lakh card
holders have been provided employment.
• 1.96 lakh Self Help Groups
(SHGs) have been formed 57,249 SHGs
have taken up self employment ventures
with assistance from banks under SGSY.
• 24 Goan Panchayats have been
awarded Nirmal Gram Puraskar for total
5,100 tractors and 15,500 power tillers
have been distributed to farmers at
subsidized rates to improve productivity.
• 4.5 lakh Kishan Credit Cards
have been issued to farmers.
• 28,000 shallow tubewells and
11,500 LLPs have been installed.
• 10,549 MT cold storage capacity
have been newly created.
7.39 lakh hectare of land brought
Flow of tourists have increased from
10 lakh in 2000 to more than 36 lakh
in 2008 due to development of infrastructure
and opening up of new tourist circuits.
Forest & Environment:
• Massive tree plantation
programme has been carried out involving
school children under Chief Minister's
Seuji Dhora Achoni.
Power • 1,236 villages have
been electrified under Rajiv Gandhi
Gramin Vidyutikaran Yojana.
• 1.25 lakh BPL families have
been provided electricity connections
free of cost.
• 46,700 households of 763 villages
have been provided electricity through
Solar Home Lighting System.
Industries & Commerce:
• The mega Rs 5554
crore Gas Cracker Project at Lepetkata
in Dibrugarh district is going on
in full swing.
• A permanent exhibition shed
called the Maniram Dewan Trade Centre,
has been set up to promote trade and
commerce in the region
Social Welfare: •
37,082 Anganwadi Centres set up under
223 ICOS projects.
• Medical aid to patients and
assistance extended to the next of
kin who die in accidents under Chief
Minister's Jiban Bima Achoni.
• 25 Gram Nyalayes will be set
up at panchayat level.
• Pension benefit will be given
to disabled persons under 18-64 age
• A separate housing scheme
will be launched for the poor including
floor and erosion affected people.
• A Rural Development Authority
will be constituted for welfare of
the rural people.
• Skill development centre in
every development block under rural
employment generation scheme.
• A Commission of Climate Change
will be constituted to protect the
environment of the State.
• A 200 bedded Cancer Hospital
will be established as part of Gauhati
• Protective homes and old age
homes will be set up for needy women.
• A special scheme will be launched
for promotion of Eri & Mega.
• A National Institute of Design
will be established to improve the
quality of handloom products.
• 3,455 additional classrooms
and 1,845 separate toilets for girl
students of elementary schools will
be constructed during 2010.
• A special scheme for the mentoring
students of poor families will be
• Centre of Excellence will
be set up in 7 IITS 13 IITS will be
• A University of Science &
Technology will be set up.
• New Engineering Colleges will
be established at Kokrabar karimgari
• A Judical Academy and a Law
School will be set up.
• Sangeet Natak Academy will
be set up to preserve and promote
the rich cultural heritage of the
• A North East Regional Centre
of Lakshmibai National University
of Physical Education will be established
• A Central Library will be
set up for the State.
• 50 skills development training
centres will be set up.
• A Food Craft Institute will
be set up at Nagaon and a Hotel Management
Institute at Jorhat.
• A new policy will be framed
for preservation of tribal belts.
• Development Councils will
be constituted for Moran, Mottock,
Ahom, Tea Tribe, Koch Rajbongshi,
Chutia, Gorkha, Saraniya Kachari and
Kartis (Amri Karb) living in plains.
• Benefits will be extended
to religious communities including
those living in rivenne areas not
covered by Multi Sectoral Development
Project from State resources.
• Concession will be provided
to journalists for purchase of land
for construction of houses.
• A new township with modern
amenities will be set up near Guwahati.
• A special scheme will be launched
to develop the infrastructure of small
• Solid waste management projects
will be implemented in urban areas
in a phased manner.
• A new bridge will be constructed
over the Brahmaputra Linking Nimatighat
and Lakhimpur vial Majul.
• Regulations will be framed
for green and eco-friendly buildings.
Assam Secretariat building will be
taken up as the first plot project.